ADSM-L

Re: TSM Won't start, lost dsmserv.dsk now have ANR0259E

2004-06-19 09:57:52
Subject: Re: TSM Won't start, lost dsmserv.dsk now have ANR0259E
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:57:33 -0400
      You just can't dsmfmt the log. The recovery log is like Oracle's redo
logs. It has info in it it needs to recover the
tsm server's database. What I always do before any kind of shutdown is of
course a full tsm database backup
backup of the volfile and devconfig file. The full database backup should
empty the log (0% utilization with q log).
Then I type in: "commit", then set the log mode to normal mode: "set
logmode normal". These will ensure that you
won't have to extend the log when the tsm server comes up and server
startup is lightning quick. Just a few hints.

      Now as far as your problem goes. I think your filesystems is in-deed
mounted because /usr is where your
recovery log volumes seem to be, based on this output, and the Tivoli
software is usually installed under /usr in AIX.
Now the only way out of this I can see is to restore from your latest full
tsm database backup.. I had this problem when
I was playing around with Oracle. I lost my redo logs and some archive log
files and I couldn't bring the database up.
Same thing here. It's restore time. I would defiantly investigate why those
files are missing.
Thanks!

--Justin Richard Bleistein
Unix/TSM Systems Administrator (Sungard Availability Services)

|         |           "Rogers, Jeff"   |
|         |           <JRogers@BOTTOMLI|
|         |           NE.COM>          |
|         |           Sent by: "ADSM:  |
|         |           Dist Stor        |
|         |           Manager"         |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           .EDU>            |
|         |           06/18/2004 04:32 |
|         |           "ADSM: Dist Stor |
|         |           Manager"         |

  |       To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                                        |
  |       cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  TSM Won't start, lost dsmserv.dsk now have ANR0259E

Some specifics...  AIX 4.33 TSM Server 4 2 1.7  We shutdown TSM, when we
tried to restart, the dsmserv.dsk file was
magically missing. We recreated it and were told that the following files
were now missing:  ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt. ANR0990I
Server restart-recovery in progress. ANR7807W Unable to get information for
file
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/RecoveryLogTriggerL1138746.LOG. A file or
directory in the path name does not exist. ANR7807W Unable to get
information for file
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/RecoveryLogTriggerL2401846.LOG. A file or
directory in the path name does not exist. ANR0259E Unable to read complete
restart/checkpoint information from any
database or recovery log volume.  We ran...
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmfmt -m -log
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/RecoveryLogTriggerL1138746.LOG 200  ... and ...
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmfmt -m -log
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/RecoveryLogTriggerL2401846.LOG 280  now we get
this.....  ANR0900I Processing options file
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmserv.opt. ANR0990I Server restart-recovery in
progress. ANR7821E Error reading from standard input. ANR0259E Unable to
read complete restart/checkpoint information from any
database or recovery log volume.   Any ideas what is suddenly going on?