ADSM-L

Re: Linux client backup error messages

2004-06-18 11:27:09
Subject: Re: Linux client backup error messages
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:26:54 -0400
>06/13/2004 20:12:07 B/A Txn Producer thread, fatal error, signal 11
>06/13/2004 23:04:40 B/A Txn Producer thread, fatal error, signal 11
>
>Can anyone give me a clue what/where to look for, on these errors ?
>
>TSM Linux 5.2.2.6 client. RH 8 2.4.18-27 kernel.
>
>FWIW, I saw an old message in the archives, with a similar problem, to
>which Richard replied with:
>
>"check the Unix Resource Limits under which that Linux client runs"
>
>but I don't know what that means or how to check it !

Now, now, you can always do a web search on topics like "resource limits".  :-)

Resource Limits are a basic reasonable usage control mechanism in Unix systems.
Here are my notes, which may help:

Unix Resource Limits                    Unix systems observe resource limit
                                        settings, to prevent runaway usage which
                                        may be detrimental to the system and
                                        other users sharing it. In AIX, resource
                                        limits are globally defined in the
                                        /etc/security/limits file.
                                        By default, the root user is unlimited.
                                        At the system level, resource limits are
                                        controlled via the setrlimit() system
                                        call, per RLIMIT_* subject function
                                        values defined in
                                        /usr/include/sys/resource.h:
                                         RLIMIT_CPU     CPU time in milliseconds
                                         RLIMIT_FSIZE   Maximum file size
                                         RLIMIT_DATA    Data size
                                         RLIMIT_STACK   Stack size
                                         RLIMIT_CORE    Core file size
                                         RLIMIT_RSS     Resident set size
                                         RLIMIT_AS      Process max total memory
                                         RLIMIT_NOFILE  Max file descriptors
                                        At the user level, these areas are
                                        adjusted via the Cshell 'limit' and
                                        'unlimit' csh commands. (Do 'limit' to
                                        see your current values.)
                                        In RedHat Linux, global settings are in
                                        /etc/security/limits.conf .

"Signal 11" is included in ADSM.QuickFacts, where it is explained to be a
programming error: you may feel justified to report to IBM as a TSM defect.
(The Linux TSM is still the junior member of the TSM family, going through
growing pains which its brethern have experienced and overcome in the past.)
Searching IBM for  +"segfault" +"producer thread"  turns up only an old APAR, so
I would advise calling in this new one.

   Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs