ADSM-L

TSM 5.2.2 & Dell PV136T libraries

2004-06-17 03:52:04
Subject: TSM 5.2.2 & Dell PV136T libraries
From: Gordon Woodward <gordon.woodward AT DB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:51:35 +1000
I'm still conducting some preliminaries before upgrading our TSM to v5.2.2,
just making sure I have all bases covered to stop any nasty surprises on day of
upgrade, seeing as I have two servers that have to be upgraded together.

I was just reading through the 5.2.2 release notes and came across the below
sections and got me wondering about my own Dell PV136T and PV128T libraries.
Our libraries run re-badged HP Ultrium 1 drives from Dell, I can't find any
information though whether or not I need to install the IBM device driver
before the new TSM. Anyone else using Dell libraries with TSM 5.2.2? I think
the PV136T is just a rebadged IBM 3583 library, not sure about the PV128T
though.

I assume when they mean IBM device driver they are not talking about the TSM
device driver?

Any helpful hints would be appreciated. I'll check with Dell to see if they
have any information but their information is a bit dated sometimes.

Windows Media Labeling Wizard
-----------------------------
The Media Labeling wizard of the TSM Management Console for Windows does not
support the labeling of tapes in non-IBM LTO devices. The TSM LABEL LIBVOLUME
command should be used to label tapes in such devices.

Minimum Level for Device Drivers
Customers who own IBM 3570, 3590, or Ultrium tape libraries and/or drives:
   The minimum level IBM device driver must be installed BEFORE installing
   TSM 5.2.  See the section of this readme entitled IBM Devices 3570, 3590, and
   Ultrium: Required Minimum Level for Device Drivers

Gordon Woodward
Wintel Server Support

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.