ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Notes

2004-06-16 08:46:07
Subject: Re: TDP for Notes
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:45:45 -0400
Moses,

First, the TSM Server handles all of the tape
management for you. The TSM Server knows on which
tape any specific version of any backup exists.
If the client has queried the TSM Server, and says
that it cannot find a backup, then it most likely has
expired, which means it is out of the TSM Server database.
When using the client to query the backups, make sure
your specify that you want to see active and inactive backups.

You might want to take a look at the TSM Server
Administrator's Guide. There is a chapter titled
"Implementing Policies for Client Data".
There is a very nice section in that chapter called
"Defining and Updating a Backup Copy Group".
It explains, in detail, how policy works and
what each of the backup copygroup settings does.

For example, if you really want your policy to be based
on time instead of number of versions, you should
be using VEREXISTS and VERDELETED set to NOLIMIT,
and set RETONLY and RETEXTRA according to the number
of days that you want to keep your backups for.
Otherwise, if you have your policy based on the number
of versions, if you perform an extra manual backup
for some reason, it may force a backup to expire
before the time you wanted it to. The documentation
that I pointed you to above explains all of the
details on policy. It also gives you examples.

Also, if you have changed the the settings for a policy set,
you need to activate those changes before they become effective.
You do that with the "ACTIVATE POLICYSET" command. For example:

   activate policyset NOTES STANDARD

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/16/2004
05:25:33 AM: