ADSM-L

Re: Experiences with TSM server running on Linux86

2004-06-15 15:55:23
Subject: Re: Experiences with TSM server running on Linux86
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:55:02 -0400
==> In article <34B80AFC74D7914EAF5F70B69CC8B1D20758C0EC AT iowacexch1.ic.ncs
DOT com>, "Anderson, Matt" <Matt.Anderson AT PEARSON DOT COM> writes:

> We're currently considering replacing our 2 very large AIX TSM servers with
> a large number (maybe 10 or so) of smaller, Linux based servers. The reason
> for the change is to reduce the impact of hardware failure, allow for
> database maintenance within a reasonable window and (less importantly)
> possibly improve backup performance.

By all means consider your hardware failure scenaria; but for DB maintainance
and isolation of problems, consider running all your servers on the same AIX
hardware.

I'm running 9 servers on my 630 now, and am finding it an absolute dream.  I
took one of my servers down, unloaded and reloaded the database, and nobody
noticed!

I'd be pleased to share the scripting and configuration bits I've done, though
they're far from organized as a product.

- Allen S. Rout