ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation data loss scenario

2004-06-10 19:49:22
Subject: Re: Reclamation data loss scenario
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:49:09 -0400
>You really only need to set the reuse delay long enough to ensure that you
>have at least one good DB backup before reusing the volume. ...

That reminds me of the scene in The Court Jester where a knight pushes
Danny Kaye out of the spot where lightning is about to strike.  :-))
Our reality is that we don't know where lightning is about to strike.
You don't know that a tape and its contained data are actually good
until you really need it.  That's why we increase the odds by making
copy storage pool tapes, and why one really needs to keep multiple
generations of DB backup tapes and a Reusedelay long enough to cover
all of them.  Tape is tape, operators are operators, and the random
elements of this universe jump out of dark recesses to surprise and
humble us when we believe we've thought of everything.
Be cautious, and increase your odds.

   Richard Sims