ADSM-L

Re: backup set or archive copy group w/ 7 year retention

2004-06-08 13:53:08
Subject: Re: backup set or archive copy group w/ 7 year retention
From: Charlie Hurtubise <charlieh AT TECSYS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:52:50 -0400
Hi.. I do this. We have a smaller setup Running TSM 5.2.2.nn everywhere (2003,
Linux, XPs, AIX). The server  is on Linux ES 2.1, and we have a two LTO2/1
drive fiber connected IBM 3582 tape library, with IBM SAN FastT 7200  (works
great). We are a smallish shop and were used to doing daily to a vault, and
weekly offsite either a scripted cpio or Veritas NT backup. Restores from
offsite were 99% recent data, occasionally back maybe 6 months.

With Tivoli, daily and now at noon backups are done to a LTO2 pool. Then
besides doing a regular COPY STGPOOL that ends up being vaulted, I archive
"what I want" every 5 weeks or so to LTO1 tapes, do a full DB backup, mark the
tapes as read-only/unavailable and offsite, then ship them with the DB backup
offsite as a unit to offsite storage. Later, when I'm feeling stingy, I blow
the tapes away in the DB! I realize at this point, I have to be careful if a
restore is needed from long ago, ref server date & time etc.

I tested a BACKUP, but it's one big glob on tape, which makes it hard to
restore one or a few files. And I'm still doing the other regular cpio/NT
backups to tape that go offsite from a vault weekly too.

If anyone has comments on the above and/or the non-flexibility of doing a
Tivoli BACKUP versus easier file restore via ARCHIVE, please educate me,
because I will be all Tivoli one day. And I see the gaps for offsite frequency
versus disasters.

Thanks
Charlie Hurtubise
Tecsys Inc.