ADSM-L

Re: archive - inactive files?

2004-06-05 12:18:58
Subject: Re: archive - inactive files?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 12:18:42 -0400
>I still can't get confirmation from the manual:
>
>Does exporting a node preserve all the inactive (deleted) files?

The Admin Ref manual says of Export Node:
"FILEData
 Specifies the type of files that should be exported for all nodes being
 exported to the server. This parameter is optional. The default value is NONE."
If FILEData chooses backup data:
"The server exports all backup versions of files..."

>Secondarily, if I rename dude1 to dude2, won't I lose all the deleted
>files? I have to export dude1 to preserve the inactive files, assuming
>export preserves those, right?

Review the TSM doc on how files expire...  Policy retention by date will cause
old versions (which are still represented in the TSM db) to age out over time.
Policy retention by version causes old versions to shift out only upon the next
backup of the same named file.

And if you review the elements of the TSM db BACKUPS table, you will see that
the timestamps involved are for when a file was backed up, and when it went
inactive.  So if you extend your policies, you can further delay expiration.

In any case, your site should not be so concerned about Inactive files:
they were supposed to go away by design anyway.

   Richard Sims