ADSM-L

Re: any one ever find a utility or tool to count CPUs on Wintel?

2004-06-04 16:51:13
Subject: Re: any one ever find a utility or tool to count CPUs on Wintel?
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:51:02 -0500
When we went though this, I got an opinion from IBM licensing, that
they allow counting of 'real cpu's, not 'virtual cpu's.

If you have Intel Xenon HyperThreading turned on, it is viewed as
two CPUs for each REAL CPU.

It complicates raw counts, but cutting the licensed CPU count load is
worth some additional effort.

BTW, one guy here wrote a little VB script to walk the resource tree
for all the processors in our AD domain to give me a count of those
by node name.  If someone needs it I might be able to find it.