ADSM-L

Re: report of usage by file type?

2004-06-01 20:53:30
Subject: Re: report of usage by file type?
From: Mike Eggleston <mikee AT MIKEE.ATH DOT CX>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:52:37 -0500
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004, Andrew Raibeck wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I will, of course, defer to the more real-life experiences of our
> customers; but unless you have a very small number of nodes to deal with,
> trying to use QUERY BACKUP for each and every node name would be a
> relatively challenging effort in coordination. Off-hand, for what you want
> to do, I think dumping the BACKUPS table via SELECT or ODBC driver would
> be easier. That would get you all node names, file spaces, and file names
> (high- and low-level names) in one big file that you can then process as
> you wish.

Dumping the table is what I'd like to do, but I don't want to occupy
the simple database under TSM for the time that it seems like this
could take. I used the gui to get an estimate the largest, most files
node and it returned 990K objects (both files and directories?) and
estimated 105 hours to do a restore of the data. That's a long time.

Mike