ADSM-L

Re: report of usage by file type?

2004-06-01 16:40:37
Subject: Re: report of usage by file type?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:37:34 -0600
In addition to others' remarks:

1) Of course the admin client is available for Windows. You have to do a
custom install to get it.

2) That said, not sure where dsmadmc fits in, since QUERY BACKUP is a
client command, not admin.

3) You can not use a client of one type to operate with data of another
type. Thus you can not use the Unix dsmc program to query backups for
Windows clients.

4) There is probably little justification needed (in general) for
excluding .mp3 files from backup, though I can understand why you'd want
to try to quantify the savings.

5) Another approach would be to do a SELECT * FROM BACKUPS from an admin
client. Be sure to redirect the output to a file on a disk with plenty of
space, and consider using the options -comma -dataonly=yes. Do this when
the server is not too busy and be prepared to wait a long time for it to
run. But that will get you info for all backup versions in the system that
you can then "massage" to get the info you want. Alternatively, you can
use a Windows ODBC application to load the data via the TSM ODBC driver,
though for a large TSM server database you'll want an application capable
of storing millions of records. With either the admin or ODBC driver, you
can get the data all at once, then mine it to your heart's content.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Mike Eggleston <mikee AT MIKEE.ATH DOT CX>
06/01/2004 12:36
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
report of usage by file type?

With much patience from my TSM admin I have learned that the
dsmc command 'query backup' will generate a list of files. I
started to write the script on unix to query the database for
all nodes, but the server tells me the client is down-release
and so will not show me the node's files. I moved my scripts
to a windows node, but the dsmadmc command is not available on
the windows now.

Is there an easy way, and what is the command, to generate a
list of files stored in the tape library?

My goal is to generate justification to tighten the inclexcl.list
files to prevent things like *.mp3 files, etc.

Mike