ADSM-L

Re: Backup set - Instant archive

2004-05-26 20:53:24
Subject: Re: Backup set - Instant archive
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:52:58 -0700
This isn't really a better way but if you were going to go to all the trouble
of setting up a 2nd TSM server then you could have one system backup itself and
the other servers up through UNC.  Then create a backupset of that one node.
If it is a bunch of 10 GB servers then they should backup incrementally, even
with UNC, in little time.

Of course if you could run one backupset of multiple nodes to one tape that
would be much better.

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Joe Crnjanski
>We would like to start using instant archive (backup set).
>
>Average archive per customer is around 10GB.
>We have LTO2 tapes (200/400), and it looks like that every new backup
set
>must be created on new tape. I can fit around 20 archives on one tape;
if
>it's possible.
>
>Does anyone know if this scenario is possible. Manual is not really
clear
>about this.

The (normal) environment is one backupset, one tape.

Possible workaround:
Create a second TSM server (or a second instance on the existing TSM
server) that uses a separate library (or possible a logical library
within your existing physical library).
Set up server-to-server communication, and use a server-based device
class to send backupsets to a virtual volume on the source server.
The target server will 'stack' multiple backupsets on a single physical
tape.

--
Mark Stapleton