ADSM-L

Re: TSM server migration steps

2004-05-25 03:04:21
Subject: Re: TSM server migration steps
From: goc <goran.k AT VIP DOT HR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:03:39 +0200
how about EXPORT SERVER to help you ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon Woodward" <gordon.woodward AT DB DOT COM>
To: <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 3:29 AM
Subject: TSM server migration steps

> I'm just about to move our two TSM servers (v4.2.2.0) to new W2K server
boxes, before upgrading to TSM v5.2, and have written up a detailed process
on what needs to be done to move the TSM server to new machines.

> I was hoping someone could look over the process I have written up  and
check if there are any mistakes or omissions that need correcting. These are
the detailed steps I have written (FYI - some command options are specific
to our site):

> Migrating TSM to a new server
>
> Old Server
> 1.    Migrate all disk storage pools to tape
> a.    UPDATE STGP BACKUP HI=0 LO=0
> b.    UPDATE STGP BACKUPCOLL HI=0 LO=0
> c.    UPDATE STGP ARCHIVE HI=0 LO=0
> d.    UPDATE STGP ARCH-S2S HI=0 LO=0
>
> 2.    Record size of storage pool volumes
> a.    QUERY STGP F=D (print results)
> b.    QUERY VOL DEVC=DISK F=D (print results)
>
> 3.    Note configuration of of library, devclass, drives and paths,
licenses
> a.    QUERY LIBRARY F=D (print results)
> b.    QUERY DEVC F=D (print results)
> c.    QUERY DRIVE F=D (print results)
> d.    QUERY SYSTEM (print results)
> e.    QUERY LICENSE (print results)
>
> 4.    Backup TSM database
> a.    BACKUP DB DEVCLASS=LTOARC TYPE=FULL SCRATCH=YES
> b.    Record volume name database is saved to
>
> 5.    Note size of database and recovery log volumes
> a.    QUERY DBVOL F=D (print results)
> b.    QUERY LOGVOL F=D (print results)
>
> 6.    Copy DSMSERV.DSK, DEVCONFIG.OUT, VOLHIST.OUT and DSMSERV.OPT to new
server

> New Server
> 7.    Install TSM base server code on new server
> 8.    Register licences
> 9.    Attach the libraries and SAN drives from the old server to new
server (Navisphere)
> 10.   Install TSM device driver
>
> 11.   Start TSM and define the DATABASE and LOG volumes to the same size a
s on the old server
> a.    DEFINE DBVOL <VOLNAME> FORMATSIZE=<ORIGINAL SIZE IN MB>
> b.    Repeat for all database volumes
> c.    DEFINE LOGVOL <VOLNAME> FORMATSIZE==<ORIGINAL SIZE IN MB>
> d.    Repeat for all recovery log volumes
>
> 12.   Define LIBRARY, DRIVES, DEVCLASS and paths as they were on original
server
> e.    Servers
> i.    DEFINE SERVER TIVOLI_DR COMMMETHOD=TCPIP HLADDRESS=xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
LLADDRESS=1502  NODENAME=TIVOLI_HO PASSWORD=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SERVERPASSWORD=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> f.    Libraries
> i.    DEFINE LIBRARY ATL LIBTYPE=SCSI DEVICE=LB0.1.0.5 SHARED=NO (check
device number against device drive information)
> ii.   DEFINE LIBRARY ATLARC LIBTYPE=SCSI DEVICE=LB2.0.0.5 SHARED=NO (check
device number against device drive information)

> g.    Drives
> i.    DEFINE DRIVE ATL DRIVE0 DEVICE=MT0.2.0.5 ELEMENT=256 ONLINE=Yes
> ii.   DEFINE DRIVE ATL DRIVE1 DEVICE=MT0.8.0.5 ELEMENT=257 ONLINE=Yes
> iii.  DEFINE DRIVE ATL DRIVE2 DEVICE=MT0.10.0.4 ELEMENT=258 ONLINE=Yes
> iv.   DEFINE DRIVE ATL DRIVE3 DEVICE=MT0.12.0.4 ELEMENT=259 ONLINE=Yes
> v.    DEFINE DRIVE ATLARC DRIVE4 DEVICE=MT2.1.0.5 ELEMENT=1 ONLINE=Yes
> vi.   DEFINE DRIVE ATLARC DRIVE5 DEVICE=MT2.2.0.5 ELEMENT=2 ONLINE=Yes
>
> h.    Device classes
> i.    DEFINE DEVCLASS LTO DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=DRIVE MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES
MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=0 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=ATL
> ii.   DEFINE DEVCLASS LTOARC DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=DRIVE MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES
MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=0 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=ATLARC
> iii.  DEFINE DEVCLASS OFFSITE DEVTYPE=SERVER MAXCAPACITY=5242880K
MOUNTLIMIT=6 MOUNTRETENTION=5 PREFIX=TSM SERVERNAME=TIVOLI_DR RETRYPERIOD=10
RETRYINTERVAL=30
> 13.   Stop TSM
>
> 14.   Copy DSMSERV.OPT and VOLHIST.OUT to TSM server directory
> i.    COPY DSMSERV.OPT.FILE "C:\PROGRA~1\TIVOLI\TSM\SERVER1\DSMSERV.OPT"
>
> 15.   Restore TSM database
> j.    "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\SERVER\DSMSERV" -k "Server1" RESTORE DB
todate=TODAY

> 16.   Start TSM server when restore is complete
>
> 17.   Restore disk storage pool volumes using details from (2b)
> k.    DEFINE VOLUME <stgpname> <"volume path and name"> FORMATSIZE=<size
in MB>
> l.    Repeat (a) for each disk volume
>
> 18.   Test server and client operations
>
> Also, with our TSM environment we have our two TSM servers communicating
to each other for DR purposes. Our main TSM server keeps a copy of all our
backup data on our secondary TSM server located at our DR site. When
upgrading to TSM 5.2, if I only upgrade one server at a time (namely our DR
server first), can a TSM 4.2 server communicate properly with a TSM 5.2
server for server to server operations?

> Thanks in advance
>
> Gordon
>

> --