ADSM-L

Re: Backing up MS Exchange

2004-05-21 09:31:49
Subject: Re: Backing up MS Exchange
From: Copperfield Adams <Copperfield.Adams AT WWAVRC.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:24:12 +0100
Hi

We are having some strange things here, this is running on a win2k3 cluster.
NTbackup does not see the exchange databases as exchange databases, rather just
file level. Very different to a standalone 2k3 machine with Exchange 2003 on,
which works fine.

The other strange sympton we are seeing is OFS backups of the local drive and
ASR backups failing for no damn good reason.

Adding the cluster administrator to the registery for the VSS service has got
rid of the OFS backup problems, but the ASR backup still fails with ANS1468E.

Thanks

C. Adams
IT Support Analyst
WRC Holdings Limited
+44 (0)208 735 8408  (Direct)
+44 (0)208 735 7408  (Fax)
adacop AT wwavrc.co DOT uk

solely for the individual(s) or entity(s) to whom it is addressed.  Any views
or opinions presented or expressed herein, are those of the author(s), and may
not necessarily represent those of WWAV Rapp Collins Group or it's affiliates
and representatives.  No representation is given nor any liability accepted for
the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this email unless
expressly stated to the contrary. Neither is any liability accepted for any
damage or financial or personal loss howsoever caused as a result of using the
information or data contained within this email.

If you are not the intended recipient(s) and/or have received this email in
error, you may not use, disseminate, store, forward, print or copy it, in any
method or form, either digital or otherwise.  You must delete it completely
from your system(s) and notify the sender that you received it, so we can
ensure it does not happen again.

Registered Office: 1 Riverside, Manbre Road, London UK, W6 9WA.  Registered in
England No. 1581935

>>> hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM 05/21/04 02:21pm >>>
Copperfield,

The API that is failing is a call to one of the standard
backup/restore APIs. I looked up the error message that you
pasted into the ADSM-L append. These messages can be found in the
Microsoft SDK file "esebkmsg.h".
-----
//
// MessageId: hrCouldNotConnect
//
// MessageText:
//
//  Unable to perform the operation. Either you can not connect to the
specified server
//  or the service you are trying to connect to is not running.
//
#define hrCouldNotConnect                ((HRESULT)0xC7FF07D7L)
----------

What happens when you run NTBACKUP? Does it work?
If NTBACKUP works but Data Protection for Exchange does not,
please call IBM support. The IBM Support Team will need a trace.
If NTBACKUP does not work either, I would try Microsoft support.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/21/2004
09:05:13 AM:

> Del
>
> Yes, We are using the virtual server name, the databases appear on
> the list to backup, then error is then generated when we hit enter.
>
> We have done everything by the book with regards to cluster
configuration.

> Regards
>
> C. Adams
> IT Support Analyst