ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Informix expiring backup files

2004-05-19 19:24:46
Subject: Re: TDP for Informix expiring backup files
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:23:48 +1000
Mark,

I believe that you can use braces to access information about API backup and
archives. I do this for DB2 and adsmpipe backups. See the Client guide

eg.
$ /opt/adsmpipe/adsmpipe -c -B -s /test -f test< CLOG040511-03
$ dsmc
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
*** Fixtest, Please see README file for more information ***
Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface - Version 5, Release 2, Level 0.4
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2003. All Rights Reserved.

Node Name: HBCIS-IPS-RBW1
Session established with server QHADSM2: AIX-RS/6000
  Server Version 5, Release 2, Level 2.1
  Server date/time: 20-05-2004 09:11:51  Last access: 20-05-2004 09:11:32

tsm> q backup {/test}/ -subdir=y
             Size      Backup Date        Mgmt Class A/I File
             ----      -----------        ---------- --- ----
API  1,000,000  B  20-05-2004 09:11:32    DEFAULT     A  /test//test
tsm>

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health
Brisbane Australia

>>> mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM 20/05/2004 6:55:10 >>>
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Bill Boyer
>And from Mark's reply, the output of the data just shows the objects,
size,
>date/time and unless you know exactly what you're looking at, yes it is
>meaningless. But this will show you the objects and allow you to EXPIRE
>them
>if you have the BACKDELETE=YES for the node.
>
>So, try 'dsmc -virtualnode=raven_ifmx'. You'll be prompted for a
password.

I don't believe that is correct. Remember, Mr. Oborn asked about data
backed up with TDP for Informix. That data is backed up with API code,
not BA code. The dsmc b/a client cannot access anything about filespaces
or backups, since it doesn't access the relevant information.

>From the TSM server, he *could* use QUERY OCCUPANCY on the Informix
filesystems and see how much storage space the Informix data is taking
up on tape and/or disk storage pools, but that's about it. If you run a
QUERY FILESPACE from the server, it will 0 MB of space occupied; this is
because the QUERY FILESPACE command only access data about clients
backed up with the BA code.

Again, I think the only way to access information about what is
available for backups is with the TDP for Informix code (and possibly
Informix itself), and that will only run if Informix is loaded and
running on the console.

Del, do I have that right?

--
Mark Stapleton

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.