ADSM-L

Re: Using open file support for PST files

2004-05-19 17:37:40
Subject: Re: Using open file support for PST files
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:37:29 -0700
I have completed a lot of OFS tests with the V5.2.2.9 client.  The primary file
that I used for those tests was an Outlook 2003 PST.  I also ran tests with
older versions of Outlook PST's.  For all of my tests the file was backed up
and could be restored.  I did not loose any mail items with my tests.  Of
course what happened in my tests may not reflect what happens in your
production environment.  I believe using OFS is the only way you can get a
backup of a PST file when a user leaves it open.

There is a utility you can get from Microsoft's web site that lets you run
backups of the PST, well kind of...  The utility when set up will make a copy
of the PST to a backup PST every time the user closes Outlook.  As you might
imagine that is hardly a good solution.

Lastly, remember that in order for OFS to work you have to have a drive that is
not being backed up with OFS to put the cache directory on.  As a result when
backing up PST's that are on a local desktop the only way to use OFS is if they
also have more than one local drive.  The fact that your PST's are on a network
share is a plus for you in this case.

Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET> wrote:
I've been searching the archives for how people got around backing up open
PST files and came across a couple messages about using the open file
support in the 5.2 client to back them up while open. Is this a good idea???
Are these backups good? These backups will take place during the night when
nobody SHOULD be using their Outlook, but may not have closed it down. This
is Outlook 2003 so you can't use the registry setting to close them after a
period of inactivity.

Also, this client has the PST files as part of the users home directory on a
fileserver.

Bill Boyer
"Experience is a comb that nature gives us after we go bald." - ??