ADSM-L

Small Sites

2004-05-19 03:19:41
Subject: Small Sites
From: Douglas Currell <dlcurrell AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 03:19:29 -0400
Has anyone deployed TSM in a very small site? When I say a small site I mean
something like this:

   4 or 5 workstations & 2 or 3 servers
   very limited bandwidth available from WAN - assume 56k (yes)
   NO local administration
   NO budget for tape library
   TSM sharing a physical server with Domino, platform is Windows
   150 MB per user per week storage growth
   1 X 73 GB hd for use as storage pool/file device
   100Mb LAN
   access to large remote TSM servers
   12 hour backup window, assumption that WAN link is at 56k (yes!)
   backup of local workstations preferred but not required
   TSM clients would mostly be Windows XP/2003 but could include Linux, in
particular, and just about anything else.
   weekly full backup required to remote TSM server

Would this be a candidate for remote NAS backup? I am looking at TSM because it
allows for policy implentation, can accommodate clients on just about all
platforms and also because it allows backup to disk. This is not to say that
other backup/restore products could be used - Retrospect might be usable too..

To me, this is an interesting exercise. Please share your thoughts..Thank you