ADSM-L

Re: Unicode Filespaces appearing as '...' on TSM Server

2004-05-17 11:44:57
Subject: Re: Unicode Filespaces appearing as '...' on TSM Server
From: "Frost, Dave" <Dave.Frost AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:44:25 +0100
David,

Do you have the en_US locale installed (SUNWnamos and SUNWnamox, I think).
If so, try setting the en_US locale before starting the server:
LC_ALL=en_US
export LC_ALL

Regards,

-=Dave=-
Sungard Vaulting Services
+44 (0) 20 7608 7140

No matter how bad things get, there's always a new low just lurking
around the corner ready to belt you over the back of the head with a cosh.

|         |           David McClelland   |
|         |           <David.McClelland@R|
|         |           EUTERS.COM>        |
|         |           Sent by: "ADSM:    |
|         |           Dist Stor Manager" |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           DU>                |
|         |           17/05/2004 16:26   |
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           "ADSM: Dist Stor   |
|         |           Manager"           |

  |       To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                                         |
  |       cc:
                                                  |
  |       Subject:  Unicode Filespaces appearing as '...' on TSM Server

Guys,

I've never seen this one before, and a quick search through the archives
doesn't reveal a great deal either...

        Solaris TSM Server 5.1.1.0
        All Windows clients (mostly 5.1.6.7 and some (blush) 4.2.0.0)

When looking at the output of a `q files` for all of my WinNT (actually,
Windows 2000) nodes, I spotted that instead of the normal filespace
name, in its place was '...' - most odd thought I. I checked the output
of `q occ` and got the same result. Checking through the activity log, I
see that expiration tells me of expiration processing for filespace
'...' for this node. Even in the 'filespaces' table in the database, I
see FILESPACE_NAME to show '...'. However, I go on to one of the clients
in question, and from the command line client perform a `q files` and I
see my correct filespace names once again (phew!). I've also tested a
restore, and it seems to be fine from the client end.

I'm concerned about the server side though - has anyone else seen this
before? It seems to be limited to WinNT class nodes - the Solaris
filespaces are all fine.

Excerpt from `q files`output.

xxx-xxx001B         /xxxforms_app        10     SUN SOL-     VxFS
No          1,024.0       1.6
                                              ARIS
xxx-xxxAPP001B      ...                1     WinNT        NTFS
Yes             0.0       0.0
xxx-xxxAPP001B      ...                2     WinNT        NTFS
Yes         8,140.1      66.3
xxx-xxxAPP001B      ...                3     WinNT        NTFS
Yes         9,180.0      65.5
xxx-xxxDB001A       /                  1     SUN SOL-     UFS
No          2,008.0      65.3
                                              ARIS
xxx-xxxDB001A       /xxx               2     SUN SOL-     UFS
No            994.3      62.5
                                              ARIS

Something to do with unicode filespace names not being properly handled
by any chance? These are 'normal' filespace names, and were certainly
appearing properly a few weeks ago when I last looked at this server.
There hasn't been any work on this server *that I know of*.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks and Regards,

David McClelland
Management Systems Capabilities
Global Management Systems
Reuters
85 Fleet Street
London EC4P 4AJ

E-mail  david.mcclelland AT reuters DOT com
Reuters Messaging       david.mcclelland.reuters.com AT reuters DOT net

the views of Reuters Ltd.