ADSM-L

Re: AW: Command line equivalent for GUI

2004-05-13 20:00:29
Subject: Re: AW: Command line equivalent for GUI
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 18:00:19 -0600
Well, maybe I missed something, too. Keep in mind that when discussing
technical issues, the details are critical. It would be helpful to always
provide hard data to go along with the verbal description. As a rule, one
can only provide an answer that is as specific as the question.   :-)

With that in mind, it would help to know the *exact* command you are
using, and the *exact* output you are seeing. Options file is helpful, as
is output from "dsmc query inclexcl".

Now the info I gave you will cause the client to traverse only those
directories that you specified. So how about trying it to confirm the
behavior? Open up a Windows OS prompt and do the following:

   cd /d c:\
   md "rh test1\dira"
   md rhtest2
   md rhtest3\datafiles
   cd rh test1\dira
   echo this is a test > testfile.out
   copy testfile.out \rhtest2
   copy testfile.out \rhtest3
   copy testfile.out \rhtest3\datafiles
   cd program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient
   dsmc i "c:\rh test1\*" c:\rhtest2\ c:\rhtest3\datafiles\ -su=y

In the second-to-last command above you may need to switch to a different
drive and/or directory, depending on where the TSM client is installed on
your system. If you client *is* installed in C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM,
then you can just copy & paste this into the command line. Oh, I should
also mention that if your options file (dsm.opt) already has
includes/excludes in it, then depending on what is excluded, you may see
only some or no files backed up. For the purposes of this test, I
recommend a minimal options file, something like this:

   COMMMETHOD TCPIP
   TCPSERVERADDRESS your.tsm.server.address
   NODENAME yournodename
   PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE

You, of course, have to plug in the appropriate TSM server address and
node name.

Below is the output when I do this on my system. Note that the file in
c:\rhtest3 is not backed up because we said to back up
c:\rhtest3\datafiles. Also note that *only* the directories I specified
are traversed (I have no explicit include/exclude statements in my options
file). And just to be clear, my TSM client is installed in C:\TSM; your
install directory may differ.

If the principles I show here vary from what you are looking for, then it
would be helpful if you could provide a more detailed description of what
you are trying to accomplish, and what exactly you are seeing (including
actual sample output, like I show here).

C:\>c:

C:\>cd \

C:\>md "rh test1\dira"

C:\>md rhtest2

C:\>md rhtest3\datafiles

C:\>cd rh test1\dira

C:\rh test1\dira>echo this is a test > testfile.out

C:\rh test1\dira>copy testfile.out \rhtest2
        1 file(s) copied.

C:\rh test1\dira>copy testfile.out \rhtest3
        1 file(s) copied.

C:\rh test1\dira>copy testfile.out \rhtest3\datafiles
        1 file(s) copied.

C:\rh test1\dira>cd \tsm\baclient

C:\TSM\baclient>dsmc i "c:\rh test1\*" c:\rhtest2\ c:\rhtest3\datafiles\
-su=y
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface - Version 5, Release 2, Level
2.10
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2003. All Rights
Reserved.

Node Name: STORMAN
Session established with server STORMAN: Windows
  Server Version 5, Release 2, Level 2.1
  Server date/time: 05/13/2004 16:49:45  Last access: 05/13/2004 16:47:26

Incremental backup of volume 'c:\rh test1\*'

Incremental backup of volume 'c:\rhtest2\'

Incremental backup of volume 'c:\rhtest3\datafiles\'
Directory-->                   0 \\storman\c$\rh test1 [Sent]
Directory-->                   0 \\storman\c$\rh test1\dira [Sent]
Normal File-->                17 \\storman\c$\rh test1\dira\testfile.out
[Sent]
Successful incremental backup of '\\storman\c$\rh test1\*'

Directory-->                   0 \\storman\c$\rhtest2 [Sent]
Normal File-->                17 \\storman\c$\rhtest2\testfile.out [Sent]
Successful incremental backup of '\\storman\c$\rhtest2\*'

Directory-->                   0 \\storman\c$\rhtest3 [Sent]
Directory-->                   0 \\storman\c$\rhtest3\datafiles [Sent]
Normal File-->                17
\\storman\c$\rhtest3\datafiles\testfile.out [Sent]
Successful incremental backup of '\\storman\c$\rhtest3\datafiles\*'

Total number of objects inspected:        8
Total number of objects backed up:        8
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects expired:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:     1.57 KB
Data transfer time:                    0.00 sec
Network data transfer rate:            0.00 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:          0.78 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                    0%
Elapsed processing time:           00:00:02

C:\TSM\baclient>

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/13/2004
14:48:23: