ADSM-L

Re: Command line equivalent for GUI

2004-05-13 10:45:37
Subject: Re: Command line equivalent for GUI
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:45:04 -0600
Stefan, what you say is correct, but Rodney was asking for the CLI
equivalent of "hand-picking" folders from the GUI. My suggestion is the
closest analogy without the complexities of include/exclude. Yes, you
could use exclude.dir to avoid traversing undesired directories, and there
is nothing wrong with that; I was merely offering an alternative. But
using exclude statements is no less risky. Consider that ANY time you use
exclude (or exclude.dir) on ANY file system (NAS or otherwise) on ANY
operating system, you run the same risk, which is that someone could put
critical data in a directory that is excluded from backup. Whether you are
changing a backup script or changing an include/exclude list, the
possibilities for error still exist. Procedures and policies for data
placement and data backup must be in place to minimize that risk.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/13/2004
07:21:23: