ADSM-L

Re: AW: Command line equivalent for GUI

2004-05-13 09:50:44
Subject: Re: AW: Command line equivalent for GUI
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 07:50:31 -0600
If I understand this correctly, include/exclude isn't really the issue
since from the GUI you were picking the specific subdirectories that you
wanted to process. Why not simply do the same thing from the CLI?

For example, if from the GUI you were selecting directories C:\Some Dir,
D:\MyDir, and D:\work\datafiles, then why not just do this?

   dsmc i "c:\some dir\*" d:\mydir\ d:\work\datafiles\ -subdir=yes

Note that the asterisk is required in the first example because the
embedded space in the file specification necessitates using quotation
marks. If you don't care why, then you can skip the rest of this. For
those who want to know, it has to do with how the Windows command
processor parses quotes, backslashes, and escape characters.

If I had used a command like this, without the asterisk:

   dsmc i "c:\some dir\" d:\mydir\ d:\work\datafiles\ -subdir=yes

Then the Windows command processor would have treated the ending
slash-quote combination in "c:\some dir\" as an embedded quotation mark
rather than a delimiter, passing the following arguments to the TSM
client:

   arg1: i
   arg2: c:\some dir" d:\mydir\ d:\work\datafiles\ -subdir=yes

which would make the client think that arg2 was the entire file
specifications, rather than three file specs and an option. What we really
want to pass to the client is:

   arg1: i
   arg2: c:\some dir
   arg3: d:\mydir\
   arg4: d:\work\datafiles\
   arg5: -subdir=yes

If this doesn't make sense, don't worry about it.... just use the asterisk
as I showed above and it should work fine.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group