ADSM-L

Corrupt LTO volume restore

2004-05-13 05:51:25
Subject: Corrupt LTO volume restore
From: Copperfield Adams <Copperfield.Adams AT WWAVRC.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:44:15 +0100
Hi all,

A couple of days ago I had a problem with missing slots in my 3583 library.
With your advice I managed to discover that it was due to a corrupt volume that
would not read during and 'AUDIT LIBR'. I have subsequently set the status of
the tape to 'DESTROYED' and recalled necessary volumes from offsite storage to
restore the volume. Last night I issued command: 'RESTORE VOL 000413L1' with
000413L1 out of the labrary, the 3 offsite tapes needed for restore (set to
'READONLY') and a scratch volume in the library. I left it running overnight
and have come in this morning to query the results of the restore to find the
following:

'Q ACTLOG BEGIND=-1' shows (amongst other things) the following related to the
restore:

12-05-2004 20:13:14   ANR0986I Process 147 for RESTORE VOLUME running in the
                       BACKGROUND processed 47168 items for a total of
                       22,784,916,140 bytes with a completion state of SUCCESS
                       at 20:13:14.
12-05-2004 20:13:14   ANR1240I Restore of volumes in primary storage pool
                       BACKUP_TAPE has ended.  Files Restored: 47168, Bytes
                       Restored: 22784916140, Unreadable Files: 0, Unreadable
12-05-2004 20:13:14   ANR1256W Volume 000413L1 contains files that could not be
                       restored.

If I issue 'Q VOL 000413L1 F=D' it shows me:

           Volume Name: 000413L1
             Storage Pool Name: BACKUP_TAPE
             Device Class Name: LTO
       Estimated Capacity (MB): 119,985.6
                      Pct Util: 52.9
                 Volume Status: Full
                        Access: Destroyed
        Pct. Reclaimable Space: 48.1
               Scratch Volume?: Yes
               In Error State?: No
      Number of Writable Sides: 1
       Number of Times Mounted: 16
             Write Pass Number: 1
     Approx. Date Last Written: 07-01-2004 11:31:32
        Approx. Date Last Read: 10-04-2004 16:50:29
           Date Became Pending:
        Number of Write Errors: 0
         Number of Read Errors: 0
               Volume Location:
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
         Last Update Date/Time: 12-05-2004 16:54:48

Has the restore worked as it shows a completion state of 'SUCCESS' or was it
incomplete as TSM is telling me the corrupt vol. contains files that could not
be restored. If the restore was successful should it not show 'ANR2034E QUERY
VOLUME: No match found using this criteria' when I input 'Q VOL 000413L1' - why
is TSM telling me that this volume status is 'FULL' (Pct. Util: 52.9)?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer me.

Regards, C. Adams.

C. Adams
IT Support Analyst
WRC Holdings Limited

solely for the individual(s) or entity(s) to whom it is addressed.  Any views
or opinions presented or expressed herein, are those of the author(s), and may
not necessarily represent those of WWAV Rapp Collins Group or it's affiliates
and representatives.  No representation is given nor any liability accepted for
the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this email unless
expressly stated to the contrary. Neither is any liability accepted for any
damage or financial or personal loss howsoever caused as a result of using the
information or data contained within this email.

If you are not the intended recipient(s) and/or have received this email in
error, you may not use, disseminate, store, forward, print or copy it, in any
method or form, either digital or otherwise.  You must delete it completely
from your system(s) and notify the sender that you received it, so we can
ensure it does not happen again.

Registered Office: 1 Riverside, Manbre Road, London UK, W6 9WA.  Registered in
England No. 1581935