ADSM-L

Re: ADSM.SYS folder needed for restores?

2004-05-07 18:49:38
Subject: Re: ADSM.SYS folder needed for restores?
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 15:45:38 -0700
Andy,
All of our Windows 2003 servers (running the V5.2.2.9 client) report skipped
files for \\server\c$\\adsm.sys\WMI, \\server\c$\adsm.sys\IIS and
\\server\c$\adsm.sys\EVENTLOG.

I had always thought there was an implicit exclude of that folder as you said
but when I ran q inclexcl I didn't see it.  Maybe it isn't shown. Still I was
wondering if you could explain why if the files are excluded they show up as
skipped files?

I was wondering if I could just enter my own exclude in the dsm.opt and now I
see that I can based on your note so I will do that.
Thanks

Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM> wrote:
Yes, adsm.sys is always backed up as part of the systemstate and
systemservices objects. For W2K+3 this directory includes VSS metadata
that we need to back up.

During backup of the c: drive, the client will traverse the adsm.sys tree
and back up the directories contained therein. However, there is an
implicit "exclude c:\adsm.sys\...\*" in the client, so the *files* will be
skipped, unless you overrode with an include. APAR IC40016 asks that this
exclude be changed to exclude.dir. Since backup of this directory is
already covered in systemstate/systemservices backup (which is *not*
affected by the exclude), there is no need to include adsm.sys as part of
the c: drive backup. Therefore you may safely use "exclude.dir
c:\adsm.sys" to suppress traversal of the tree during c: backup
processing.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"Spearman, Wayne"
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
05/07/2004 08:40
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
ADSM.SYS folder needed for restores?

I'm not a Windows Admin. Does the adsm.sys folder need to be backed up for
Windows 2003? I thought this folder was needed for restoring the server
the
registry

Thanks,
Wayne

This message and any included attachments are from NOVANT HEALTH INC.
and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information contained
herein may include trade secrets or privileged or otherwise confidential
information. Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing, copying,
distributing, or using such information is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, or have
reason to believe you are not authorized to receive it, please promptly

Thank you.