ADSM-L

Re: I/O Errors on IBM 3581 LTO II

2004-05-07 18:04:42
Subject: Re: I/O Errors on IBM 3581 LTO II
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:01:33 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Janusz Wiszniowski
>I have problem with reading data from IBM 3581 LTO II autoloader. The
>backups (write operations) to tapes works always ok, but the problem
arise
>when I try to restore some data from tapes. I receive:
>
>ANR8302E I/O error on drive DRIVE1 (mt6.0.0.4) (OP=READ, Error
Number=1235,
>CC=0, KEY=0B, ASC=4B, ASCQ=00,

>From Richard Sims' web site http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts (a
site that should *always* be consulted before you post a question on the
list):

ANR8302E I/O error on drive TAPE0 (MT0.0.0.2) (OP=READ, Error
Number=1235, CC=0, KEY=2B, ASC=4B, ASCQ=00, ...
ASC=4B+ASCQ=00 is a Data Phase Error, meaning that an error occurred
during the Data Phase of a SCSI operation, as when a SCSI target device
receives a zero-length data frame, or too many parity errors have
occurred during the Data-In and Data-Out phases of an operation. Could
be caused by a bad (SCSI) cable (closely inspect the pins; try a
different cable) or faulty SCSI termination or exceeding the SCSI chain
length.  If possible, try another drive.  If a dsmserv restore, assure
that the device config you are using accurately describes the library
and drives.  The library/drive combination may be seldom-used equipment,
or in questionable condition; initiate testing at the OS level, writing
to a tape with a command like tar, then try to read the data back.  If
that    works, try using a command like tapeutil to get raw data blocks
off the tape that had an error. A failure there may point to the tape.
For     FibreChannel HBA in Windows, check the MAXSGLIST spec
(MAXimumSGList parameter in the Windows registry).      And, as always,
assure that the drive has been cleaned.

--
Mark Stapleton