ADSM-L

Re: oracle 9i/rman tdp with tsm

2004-05-07 11:41:31
Subject: Re: oracle 9i/rman tdp with tsm
From: Neil Rasmussen <rasmussn AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 08:42:28 -0700
My experience has been that Oracle on AIX has not required the DB to be
restarted since 8i - it has been the only database with some consistency
in that regards. The biggest problem that I have seen with Oracle on AIX
is the fact that AIX by default only uses /usr/lib for 32bit and 64bit
libraries. Unfortunately, with the introduction of 9i, Oracle no longer
looks in it's ORACLE_HOME/lib directory for the libobk.a but rather in the
/usr/lib directory - and so the configuration nightmare begins.This is a
conflict with Oracle since Oracle only looks for libobk.a regardless of 32
or 64bit and DP for Oracle 64bit library is named libobk64.a.

So in particular if you are using Oracle 9i on AIX 5 then your link(s)
should look like this:

$ORACLE_HOME/lib/libobk.a ->/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin64/libobk64.a

and in the Oracle user's environment you need to export the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib (for this to take effect I believe
you will have to restart Oracle)

Last week I posted a link to our Knowledge Base articles that has a word
document (and some slides) that walks through this configuration. This
document has been found to be invaluable by others and I really recommend
anyone having DP Oracle configuration problems, no matter what platform,
to read it. Here is the link again:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/entdocview.wss?rs=0&q1=DP%20Oracle&uid=swg21145506&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en

Regards,

Neil Rasmussen
Software Development
Data Protection for Oracle
rasmussn AT us.ibm DOT com

Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
05/07/2004 07:54 AM
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
oracle 9i/rman tdp with tsm

I'm trying to setup rman/tdp for Oracle 9i running on an AIX 5.1 system,
Oracle 9.2.X.X.X.
Now in the Solaris world when I tried to setup Oracle 8i to rman/tdp I had
to bring down the tsm instance,
like the $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libobk.so to /usr/lib/libobk.so which linked to:
/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin/libobk.so.
Then bring the instances backup then I was able to backup to TSM via rman.
However if it was an Oracle 9i database
I was backing up then  I didn't have to bounce the Oracle instances. I
didn't even have to link the library file. I could
just use the SBT_LIBRARY= rman option in my scripts and just point to the
libobk.so library in the tivoli tdp install directory
and it backed up fine. No outage required. Now has that changed in AIX?
Do you need an Oracle bounce even with 9i in AIX?
Please advise
thanks!.

--Justin Richard Bleistein
Unix/TSM Systems Administrator (Sungard Availability Services)
Desk: (856) 566 - 3485
Cell:    (856) 912 - 0861
Email: justin.bleistein AT sungard DOT com