ADSM-L

What are people doing to bkup big DB2, data warehouse

2004-05-06 12:33:04
Subject: What are people doing to bkup big DB2, data warehouse
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 12:29:45 -0400
Hello all,
     I am wondering what people are doing to backup these beasts and
what kind of success (backup times) they have had doing it.
    We are backup up a 3TB DB2 data warehouse but it is taking almost 11
hours, end to end.   The disk is all Shark, the client is on a p690
14cpu lpar, TSM 5.1 client, GB Ethenet adapter, going to TSM 5.1.8
server on z/OS 1.4..  We are precompressing the data on the p690 and
going direct to 6 9840 tape drives.  We are using the DB2 backup utility
with parallelism set to 4, with the 6 concurrent streams.
    Ideally we would like to back it up hot, seems to big and active.
There is too much data for mirroring or FLASHCOPY.   Has anyone tried
just backing upthe RAWS seperatly?
Matt