ADSM-L

Re: Antwort: Re: Scheduler fails on Windows 2000 and 2003 without a message

2004-04-29 12:33:13
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Scheduler fails on Windows 2000 and 2003 without a message
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:29:51 -0600
Hi Karin,

OK, so journal based backup is in the picture. That adds a whole new
dimension to your situation.

I would recommend that you have a look at the Journal Based Backup FAQ on
the IBM web site, http://www.ibm.com. Also make sure your client levels
are current (5.2.2.9 is the latest), as there have been some major fixes
to journal based backup made in 5.2.x. Consider stopping the journal
service, deleting the journal database files, restarting the journal
service, and letting the journal db files get rebuilt (this means that the
first incremental backup will be a traditional backup, followed by
journaled backups thereafter).

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it is not possible to do in-depth
diagnostics on this forum. If you continue to have problems getting your
journal-based backups to work correctly, you should consider opening a
call with IBM support for further assistance.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Karin Dambacher <karin.dambacher AT EMPRISE DOT DE>
04/28/2004 09:11
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Antwort: Re: Scheduler fails on Windows 2000 and 2003 without a message

Hi Andy,

the scheduler service seems to be started (in the service window there is
"started"), but it hangs and has to be restarted. After restarting the
next
backup will run fine, but the second or third after restarting hangs in
the
way described. Some time it is not possible to restart the scheduler
service, while the journal service is running. So we have to stop
journaling and then restarting the scheduler and restart the journal.

Best regards, Karin

|         |           Andrew Raibeck   |
|         |           <storman AT US DOT IBM.C|
|         |           OM>              |
|         |           Gesendet von:    |
|         |           "ADSM: Dist Stor |
|         |           Manager"         |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           .EDU>            |
|         |           28.04.2004 15:03 |
|         |           Bitte antworten  |
|         |           an "ADSM: Dist   |
|         |           Stor Manager"    |

  |       An:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU     |
  |       Kopie:    (Blindkopie: Karin Dambacher/Emprise)            |
  |       Thema:    Re: Scheduler fails on Windows 2000 and 2003 without a
message                                                              |

Hello Karin,

Is the scheduler "failing" or being "missed"? There is a difference:
"Failed" means that the scheduled event began, but encountered an error
condition that prevented it from completing successfully. "Missed" means
that the scheduled event never began. For example, if the scheduler is not
running on the client, then of course it can not execute its scheduled
events; nor can it report that it did not run.

>From your description, it may be that a "missed" schedule is what needs to
be investigated. On the client machines that missed their scheduled,
verify that the scheduler service is started. Check the dsmsched.log and
dsmerror.log to verify that the scheduler was able to successfully contact
the server and query its next scheduled event. For that matter, make sure
that you can perform manual client operations as well, just to verify
basic functionality.

Also check out the TSM problem determination guide at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/IBMStorageManagerMessages5.2.2.html

.
There is a link called "Scheduling" that might have some useful
information.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Karin Dambacher <karin.dambacher AT EMPRISE DOT DE>
04/28/2004 04:58
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Scheduler fails on Windows 2000 and 2003 without a message

Hello,

on some Windows NT, 2000 and Windows 2003 server the TSM scheduler fails
without a message in the eventlog. In the morning, I see the
missed-message
of the client schedule. That is all.
Other servers with the same configuration run well.

TSM Server 5.2.2 on AIX 5.1
Windows: TSM Client 5.1.5.x and TSM 5.1.6.x with newest patch

Best regards, Karin

Diese e-Mail einschließlich ihrer Anhänge ist vertraulich. Wir bitten,
eine
fehlgeleitete e-Mail
unverzüglich vollständig zu löschen und uns eine Nachricht zukommen zu
lassen. Wir haben die
e-Mail beim Ausgang auf Viren geprüft; wir raten jedoch wegen der Gefahr
auf den Übertragungswegen
zu einer Eingangskontrolle. Eine Haftung für Virenfreiheit schließen wir
aus.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient of this e-mail,
please immediately delete its contents and notify us. This e-mail was
checked for virus contamination
before being sent. Nevertheless, it is advisable to check for any
contamination occurring during transmission.
We cannot accept any liability for virus contamination.