ADSM-L

Re: Database and log format question.

2004-04-28 09:55:44
Subject: Re: Database and log format question.
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:52:58 +0200
Hi

My guess is that it's commiting log information. During DB restore, the
restore is sequential. However, when commiting the log information, it is
commiting the log on a per transaction basis. If you're logs where highly
used during your last db backup, this could explain why it's taking so
long for the TSM server to mount the log.

Remember, that during inital startup after a db restore, the TSM server
will do a recovery log roll-back, and commit all transactions within the
TSM log.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

"Remeta, Mark" <MRemeta AT SELIGMANDATA DOT COM>
2004-04-28 15:47
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Database and log format question.

ok the server specs are a quad 1.4ghz pentium 4, 4gb memory running win2k
advanced server.
What I did was erase the old log and database volumes, then do a dsmserv
-k
format with the log and database volume specs.
It created the volumes and formatted the recovery log volumes rather
quickly.
After it format's the recovery log volumes it does a recovery log volume
mount.
This is what is taking so long.
I've been monitoring the IO and it seems to be doing something to the
database disk, perhaps formatting the database volumes too? I don't know.
I've done this before but never with a database this large.

Thanks,
Mark