ADSM-L

Re: Please help me NOT migrate

2004-04-20 13:48:28
Subject: Re: Please help me NOT migrate
From: Ted Byrne <ted.byrne AT ADELPHIA DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:45:59 -0400
My recommendation is to set up a new Solaris server and slowly put new clients
   on it.  Then over time we will move all clients to the new server.  But I
   know it won't fly because it will entail buying a new tape library.

Eliza,

Would it be feasible to share the 3494 between servers during the
transition if it comes to that?

I've never done any significant export/import processing, but I can't
imagine that given the total downtime to do a one-shot cutover would be
acceptable given the number of nodes and volume of data that you're dealing
with.  My gut feeling is that the downtime for the cutover would be nothing
short of horrific, but that's really a hunch on my part.

Ted

Ted Byrne
Blacksburg, VA