ADSM-L

Re: TDP/SQL and Striping

2004-04-19 13:07:47
Subject: Re: TDP/SQL and Striping
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:08:09 -0400
Jeff,

There is nothing you should need to do in regards to the
SQL Server to use multiple stripes. Data Protection for SQL
informs the SQL Server how many stripes it would like to use.
The SQL Server completely determines how the data is
fed to each striped session. Data Protection for SQL
will open a TSM API session for each stripe created,
plus one additional session for management.

You didn't mention it, so I cannot be sure, but you need
to tell Data Protection for SQL to use multiple stripes.
That is, something like this:

   TDPSQLC BACKUP dbname FULL /STRIPES=3

It is probably a good idea to find out where your
maximum throughput rate is by running some backups
starting with a lower number of stripes, for example,
try 2, 3, and 4 stripes... before going to 8 stripes.

If you cannot get multiple stripes to work, please call
IBM support.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 04/19/2004
06:31:49 AM: