ADSM-L

Re: TSM Schedule

2004-04-16 17:47:52
Subject: Re: TSM Schedule
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:38:15 -0600
Hello Jianyu,

Take a look at the ANS1076E message, that is a clue as to what the trouble
is: There is a problem with whatever file(s) you are specifying in the
schedule definition.

Since the scheduled action is SELECTIVE rather than INCREMENTAL (which
contradicts the schedule name DAILY_INCR), obviously we are looking at a
different problem than before. If you've read my prior posts on this
subject, a recurring theme is a request for DETAIL about the problem -
this means options files, schedule definitions, node settings, complete
log data, and so on. Also, when diagnosing any kind of problem, it is
helpful to know WHAT you want to do, and HOW you are trying to accomplish
it, as there is very likely a conflict between the "what" and the "how".

I would strongly recommend that you consult the TSM Problem Determination
Guide at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/IBMStorageManagerMessages5.2.2.html,
and in particular the "Problem Determination" and "Diagnostic Tips" links.
Also consult the messages manual for error and warning messages such as
ANS1076E.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

jianyu he <andyhe1218 AT YAHOO DOT CA>
04/15/2004 09:30
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: TSM Schedule

Hi,Andy

I got some information from dsmsched.log,  I don't know why 'DAILY_INCR'
failed.

Executing scheduled command now.
04/15/2004 12:14:58 Node Name: CLIENT3
04/15/2004 12:14:58 Session established with server HJY3: Windows
04/15/2004 12:14:58   Server Version 5, Release 2, Level 2.0
04/15/2004 12:14:58   Server date/time: 04/15/2004 12:16:09  Last access:
04/15/2004 12:14:17
04/15/2004 12:14:58 --- SCHEDULEREC OBJECT BEGIN DAILY_INCR 04/15/2004
12:15:00
04/15/2004 12:14:58 Selective Backup function invoked.
04/15/2004 12:14:58 ANS1076E *** Directory path not found ***
04/15/2004 12:15:01 --- SCHEDULEREC STATUS BEGIN
04/15/2004 12:15:01 --- SCHEDULEREC OBJECT END DAILY_INCR 04/15/2004
12:15:00
04/15/2004 12:15:01 ANS1512E Scheduled event 'DAILY_INCR' failed.  Return
code = 12.
04/15/2004 12:15:01 Sending results for scheduled event 'DAILY_INCR'.
04/15/2004 12:15:01 Results sent to server for scheduled event
'DAILY_INCR'.

Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM> wrote:
If you have done the basic steps that I have outlined, then there is
something wrong in your setup. I am unable to answer your question with a
simple "perform step x to achieve the backup."

To back up only the C: drive, you would put

DOMAIN C:

in your client options file (dsm.opt). You do not need the -SUBDIR=YES in
the schedule definition, although its presence is not the problem.

So now the issue becomes trying to identify where the problem lies.

It would help to know the following:

- Content of client options file (dsm.opt)

- Version of TSM client you are using.

- Output from the following client command:

dsmc query schedule

- Output from the following admin commands:

query node client3 format=detailed
query event standard daily_incr
query association standard daily_incr

(note: the last two commands assume that the domain name is STANDARD;
specify the correct domain name if my assumption is wrong.)

If the "dsmc query schedule" command returns a schedule, then it is likely
that the scheduler service is not running on the client. If "dsmc query
schedule" does not return a schedule, then you probably need to use the
DEFINE ASSOCIATION command to associate node CLIENT3 with the DAILY_INCR
schedule.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

jianyu he
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
04/15/2004 06:35
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: TSM Schedule

Hi Andrew,

I am studying TSM now, so I want to achieve the automatic backup task. I
have finished the manual backup, archieve, restore, and retrieve, but when
I try to achieve the function of shcedule, the client doesn't backup
during the execution.

tsm> query session
TSM Server Connection Information
Server Name.............: HJY3
Server Type.............: Windows
Server Version..........: Ver. 5, Rel. 2, Lev. 2.0
Last Access Date........: 04/15/2004 09:16:14
Delete Backup Files.....: "Yes"
Delete Archive Files....: "Yes"
Node Name...............: CLIENT3
User Name...............:

I had done the step that you mentioned. Is there another step I should do
if I want to backup the data of C$ of CLIENT3.

Normally, what should I do in the OBJECTS setting.

thanks

Andy

Andrew Raibeck wrote:
Hello Jianyu,

In general, in order for the scheduler to work, you must do the following:

- Define a schedule on the TSM server.

- Associate the client nodes with that schedule (using the DEFINE
ASSOCIATION command). For example:

DEF ASSOC STANDARD DAILY_INCR MYNODENAME

- Install and configure the TSM client software on the machine you wish to
back up, then start the scheduler on that client machine.

If the above outline does not help, then please provide more detail on
your problem. The detail in the solution can only be proportional to the
detail in the problem description. For instance, some questions that occur
to me:

1) Your given schedule definition is not very typical. You have
-subdir=yes in the OPTIONS setting, but no OBJECTS specified. You also
have the backup running hourly, with a duration of 10 minutes per
instance. It would help if you could indicate what exactly it is you are
trying to accomplish, including information on what exactly you want to
back up. Knowing *why* you want to do this might also provide some useful
insight.

2) When you say "my client doesn't work", what exactly does that mean?
Have you tried performing manual (nonscheduled) backups? If so, what are
the results? If not, then try testing a manual backup. One useful test
after installing and configuring the client is to run the command line
client like this:

dsmc query session

This will demonstrate basic connectivity to the TSM server (and it is
often good to make sure you can walk before you try to run).

3) Have you configured and started the scheduler? Examine dsmsched.log and
see whether the scheduler is successfully obtaining information about the
next scheduled event.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

jianyu he
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
04/14/2004 15:03
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
TSM Schedule

Hi,

I want to achieve TSM Client Schedule function, but my client doesn't
work. could you tell me how to do it?

Schedule Name: DAILY_INCR
Action: Incremental
Objects: