ADSM-L

Re: Management Classes

2004-04-16 12:23:14
Subject: Re: Management Classes
From: Tom Kauffman <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:19:06 -0500
You may have confused us by using 'schedules' and not 'nodes' in the
original question.

My approach, for what it's worth, would be to set up a new management class
for the critical nodes and point them to a different disk and tape storage
pool. I currently have management classes for SAP/R3 production,
MS-Exchange, Other NT, AIX, and general archiving (usually Oracle
databases). And management classes for Oracle off-line redo logs (two
classes for two storage pools) and SAP archiving (seven classes with 1 thru
7 year archive retention, all aimed at the same storage pool). I've
optimized my copy pools for D/R -- we can recover SAP, MS-Exchange, and our
payroll system all at the same time with no tape contention -- because
they're on different tape copy pools.

Which, of course, required different primary storage pools, both tape and
disk. I've found it more expedient in defining storage pools to start with
the D/R requirement and work my way backward.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc