ADSM-L

Re: LTO tape cartridge(200GB/400GB) stores data 500GB+.

2004-04-16 03:26:28
Subject: Re: LTO tape cartridge(200GB/400GB) stores data 500GB+.
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:25:42 +0200
It depends on the actual type of data - take a 2Tb oracle db that is mostly
empty you will be getting a 90%+ compression ratio - so your LTO-2 cartridge
will show the capacity used as 2000Gb.
The typical ratio IBM used to qoute was 3-1 in recent years they changed
this to 2-1,
hence the 200-400 figure. The algorithm used for the comression is a
modified ZL algorithm - similar to the algorithm used for pkzip etc.
If you send already compressed data your tape usage will show 200Gig or
less - if you were getting negative compression ratios - data already
compressed can grow if comressed again.
So - there is no clear-cut answer - work on the native capacity(200G), and
everything else you get is a bonus.

Cheers
Christo