ADSM-L

Re: Upgrade Library 3494

2004-04-15 13:10:44
Subject: Re: Upgrade Library 3494
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:09:40 -0400
I agree with Richard, the tapes won't all go to scratch, they will go to
INSERT status.

If you have to go that way, I don't think it will be a big deal.

1) Checkout all your tapes from TSM with REMOVE=NO.
(You can use SQL to generate the commands to do them all at once, no need to
do it manually; let me know if you need help with that.)

2) When your service people are done and the tapes are in INSERT status, run
a checkin using VOLRANGE to check in tapes in the library into SCRATCH
status.  TSM is smart enough that you will get an error message for each one
that is defined in the DB or VOLHISTORY, saying you are NOT ALLOWED to check
them in as scratch.  So your scratch tapes will be checked in, the private
tapes won't.

3) Run another checkin using VOLRANGE to check in the tapes with
status=PRIVATE.

Voila.  Everything back to normal.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)