ADSM-L

Re: TSM Schedule

2004-04-15 00:26:54
Subject: Re: TSM Schedule
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:26:22 -0600
Hello Jianyu,

In general, in order for the scheduler to work, you must do the following:

- Define a schedule on the TSM server.

- Associate the client nodes with that schedule (using the DEFINE
ASSOCIATION command). For example:

   DEF ASSOC STANDARD DAILY_INCR MYNODENAME

- Install and configure the TSM client software on the machine you wish to
back up, then start the scheduler on that client machine.

If the above outline does not help, then please provide more detail on
your problem.  The detail in the solution can only be proportional to the
detail in the problem description. For instance, some questions that occur
to me:

1) Your given schedule definition is not very typical. You have
-subdir=yes in the OPTIONS setting, but no OBJECTS specified. You also
have the backup running hourly, with a duration of 10 minutes per
instance. It would help if you could indicate what exactly it is you are
trying to accomplish, including information on what exactly you want to
back up. Knowing *why* you want to do this might also provide some useful
insight.

2) When you say "my client doesn't work", what exactly does that mean?
Have you tried performing manual (nonscheduled) backups? If so, what are
the results? If not, then try testing a manual backup. One useful test
after installing and configuring the client is to run the command line
client like this:

   dsmc query session

This will demonstrate basic connectivity to the TSM server (and it is
often good to make sure you can walk before you try to run).

3) Have you configured and started the scheduler? Examine dsmsched.log and
see whether the scheduler is successfully obtaining information about the
next scheduled event.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

jianyu he <andyhe1218 AT YAHOO DOT CA>
04/14/2004 15:03
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
TSM Schedule

Hi,

I want to achieve TSM Client Schedule function, but my client doesn't
work. could you tell me how to do it?

  Schedule Name: DAILY_INCR
        Action: Incremental
       Objects: