ADSM-L

Re: Backing up MS Exchange / KVS + Deleting FileSpaces

2004-04-08 13:12:21
Subject: Re: Backing up MS Exchange / KVS + Deleting FileSpaces
From: Uwe Schreiber <Uwe.us.Schreiber AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:11:18 +0200
Hi,

i'am currently testing KVS VaultStore for Fileservers.

My findings so far are

        - replacing the original file by a stubfile changes the reparse
point of the file, so TSM is will cause a backup of this file by doing a
recall of the file during a full-incremental backup,
          even the original file was backuped during former backups.
        - a "solution" for that is to do a incremental-by-date, using this
method no recall and backup of already migrated files which were already
backuped.

        but only doing incremental-by-date means to loose the expiration
of deleted files, e.g. and even a file is renamed it will not be backed up
cause this will not change the modified date.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Uwe Schreiber

Copperfield.Adams AT WWAVRC.CO DOT UK
Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
08.04.2004 17:55
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Backing up MS Exchange / KVS + Deleting FileSpaces

Hi,

This is my third post in as many days - thanks for all the help so far!
I have just 2 more questions:

1. We are migrating from GroupWise 6 to MS Exchange soon. We have a user
base of appx. 500 and will be implementing a KVS storage solution to
handle mails archived-by-date.
Does anyone have any tips/links/whitepapers/case studies on best practise
in backing up Exchange, KVS or both with TSM (and possibly HSM)? What
retention parameters are advisable?

2. I have just deleted filespaces for 12 nodes that are no longer
operating on our network. The occupied size summed appx. 1.5Tb but the
filespace deletion process seemed uncannily quick.
The command I issued for each node's filespace was:

DEL FILESP <NODE_NAME> * TYPE=ANY DATA=ANY

Once issued I input 'Q PRO' to check what was happening and was shown that
TSM was deleting objects.
My question is: How and when will all of this space be reclaimed from both
the onsite and offsite tapes as the whole purpose of deleting these
filespaces was not only to purge a stack of data we no longer needed but,
ultimately, to free up slots in our LTO library?

Many thanks all.

C. Adams
IT Support Analyst
WRC Holdings Limited

solely for the individual(s) or entity(s) to whom it is addressed.  Any
views or opinions presented or expressed herein, are those of the
author(s), and may not necessarily represent those of WWAV Rapp Collins
Group or it's affiliates and representatives.  No representation is given
nor any liability accepted for the accuracy or completeness of any
information contained in this email unless expressly stated to the
contrary. Neither is any liability accepted for any damage or financial or
personal loss howsoever caused as a result of using the information or
data contained within this email.

If you are not the intended recipient(s) and/or have received this email
in error, you may not use, disseminate, store, forward, print or copy it,
in any method or form, either digital or otherwise.  You must delete it
completely from your system(s) and notify the sender that you received it,
so we can ensure it does not happen again.

Registered Office: 1 Riverside, Manbre Road, London UK, W6 9WA. Registered
in England No. 1581935