ADSM-L

Backing up MS Exchange / KVS + Deleting FileSpaces

2004-04-08 12:02:08
Subject: Backing up MS Exchange / KVS + Deleting FileSpaces
From: Copperfield Adams <Copperfield.Adams AT WWAVRC.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:55:58 +0100
Hi,

This is my third post in as many days - thanks for all the help so far!
I have just 2 more questions:

1. We are migrating from GroupWise 6 to MS Exchange soon. We have a user base
of appx. 500 and will be implementing a KVS storage solution to handle mails
archived-by-date.
Does anyone have any tips/links/whitepapers/case studies on best practise in
backing up Exchange, KVS or both with TSM (and possibly HSM)? What retention
parameters are advisable?

2. I have just deleted filespaces for 12 nodes that are no longer operating on
our network. The occupied size summed appx. 1.5Tb but the filespace deletion
process seemed uncannily quick.
The command I issued for each node's filespace was:

DEL FILESP <NODE_NAME> * TYPE=ANY DATA=ANY

Once issued I input 'Q PRO' to check what was happening and was shown that TSM
was deleting objects.
My question is: How and when will all of this space be reclaimed from both the
onsite and offsite tapes as the whole purpose of deleting these filespaces was
not only to purge a stack of data we no longer needed but, ultimately, to free
up slots in our LTO library?

Many thanks all.

C. Adams
IT Support Analyst
WRC Holdings Limited

solely for the individual(s) or entity(s) to whom it is addressed.  Any views
or opinions presented or expressed herein, are those of the author(s), and may
not necessarily represent those of WWAV Rapp Collins Group or it's affiliates
and representatives.  No representation is given nor any liability accepted for
the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this email unless
expressly stated to the contrary. Neither is any liability accepted for any
damage or financial or personal loss howsoever caused as a result of using the
information or data contained within this email.

If you are not the intended recipient(s) and/or have received this email in
error, you may not use, disseminate, store, forward, print or copy it, in any
method or form, either digital or otherwise.  You must delete it completely
from your system(s) and notify the sender that you received it, so we can
ensure it does not happen again.

Registered Office: 1 Riverside, Manbre Road, London UK, W6 9WA.  Registered in
England No. 1581935