ADSM-L

lanfree performance -not going lanfree?

2004-04-08 10:11:08
Subject: lanfree performance -not going lanfree?
From: i love tsm <ilovetsm AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:10:42 +0100
Hi

My environment is as follows

win2000 tsm server running 5.2.2.3
win2000 client running storageagent 5.2.2.3 and b/a client 5.2.2.9  (qlogic
2340 adapter)
ibm 3584 library . LTO2 drives SAN attached
2Gb SAN

I am trying to achieve snapshot image backup of a drive on the win2k client.
 What happens is as follows

I fire up the b/a gui
select the drive, and select snapshot image backup then start the backup
the gui then shows the drive as the object being inspected and its size

Actlog on the server shows the sessions start for the b/a client node and
says its proxied by storage agent. A session is started for library sharing.
 A tape is mounted in LTO2 drive

q ses f=d shows  the sessions for the node and confirms its proxied by
storage agent.
q ses f=d shows the number of bytes received by the client node NOT going up
q dr f=d shows the LTO2 drive is allocated to the storage agent

All seems fine and dandy.... BUT I'm only getting 12-13 Mb/sec  and the
LANFREE data bytes figure does not go up from 0 bytes (whereas bytes
transferred increases at the 12/13mb sec)

Last year when I was doing some testing of this to LTO1 I got   30Mb sec.

I do not get any errors in actlog or in dsmerror.log.

If I have storage agent running and issue dsmsta I do get a couple of errors
but I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows
Version 5, Release 2, Level 2.3

* Patch 5.2.2.3 TSM Server (Driver 0000, Build 04072.1214) *
* This is a server service PATCH based on certified service    *
* level 5.2.2.0 and has not been fully tested.  List of        *
* fixes made can be found in the README                        *
*                                                              *
Licensed Materials - Property of IBM

(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1990,2003. All rights reserved.
U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.

ANR8260I Named Pipes driver ready for connection with clients.
ANR8224W TCP/IP Administrative driver was unable to initialize due to error
in
using Port 1500, reason code 10048.
ANR8208W TCP/IP driver unable to initialize due to error in using Port 1502,
reason code 10048.
TSM:ETWWPKSFCS02_I_IMAGE>
ANR0408I Session 1 started for server CORWWPKSTSM01 (Windows) (Tcp/Ip) for
storage agent.
ANR0408I Session 2 started for server CORWWPKSTSM01 (Windows) (Tcp/Ip) for
library sharing.
ANR8920I Initialization and recovery has ended for shared library 3584WWPK.
ANR0409I Session 2 ended for server CORWWPKSTSM01 (Windows).
ANR0408I Session 3 started for server CORWWPKSTSM01 (Windows) (Tcp/Ip) for
storage agent.
ANR0408I Session 4 started for server CORWWPKSTSM01 (Windows) (Tcp/Ip) for
event logging.
ANR0408I Session 5 started for server CORWWPKSTSM01 (Windows) (Tcp/Ip) for
storage agent.
ANR0993I Server initialization complete.
ANR0916I TIVOLI STORAGE MANAGER distributed by Tivoli is now ready for use.

Anyone seen similar to this or can point me in the right direction.

Happy to provide more information if required

Regards

Chris

dsm.opt

NODENAME i_image