ADSM-L

Re: TDP SQL Transaction log not truncating

2004-04-07 09:15:54
Subject: Re: TDP SQL Transaction log not truncating
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:15:24 -0400
Chris,

I have a few comments:

RESTORE VERIFYONLY checks to see that the backup set is complete
and that all volumes are readable.  RESTORE VERIFYONLY does NOT
check the structure of the data on the volumes.
I always wondered how this is a "verification" of a restore
if you don't really restore the data.

Many of our customers accomplish a true "verification" by restoring
the database to an alternate name which goes further than
RESTORE VERIFYONLY in verifying the backup. It makes sure that the
backup is complete... but also truly verifies that it can be restored
and recovered cleanly. Granted, it does take some additional resource,
but if you need a true "verification" of a restore to prove
the validity of the backup, nothing does that like a real restore.

There are not any current plans for a RESTORE VERIFYONLY function.
If alternate database restore does not meet your needs for some reason,
please submit a requirement through your IBM representative.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 04/07/2004
12:33:44 AM:

> Is your DBA talking about shrinking the log file or truncating the log?
One
> thing to look out for here is the fact that these are two different
things,
> and lots of SQL people can get confused about this.  Truncating a SQL
Server
> log is not the same as shrinking the physical file that houses the log
> (which is a logical construct, not a physical construct).  When a log
backup
> (backup log dbname to ...) is run, the log is truncated (as long as
> NO_TRUNCATE or NO_LOG is not specified).  This means that space in the
log
> file that is no longer needed for crash recovery is available for reuse.
 It