ADSM-L

Re: Drive in DOMAIN, but not backed up

2004-04-02 14:09:07
Subject: Re: Drive in DOMAIN, but not backed up
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 13:08:38 -0600
Von: Bill Boyer [mailto:bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET]
>This client has a preschedule command to mount a filesystem. It's
actually
>a SNAPDRIVE on a Netapp appliance. The script runs CC=0 and is supposed
>mount the drive as Q:. The DSM.OPT file specifies DOMAIN Q:, but the
last
>incremental backup of that filesystem is listed as 3/8/04.
>
>I thought that if you specified a domain and it wasn't available, you
would
>get an error on the backup?
>
>There are no messages in the dsmerror.log file, and it's running with
QUIET

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Salak Juraj
>my Q: drive had access rights set for administrator
>but no rights at all for user "system".
>
>Becuase the tsm scheduler run under system,
>it could not see the drive at all so it neither
>backed it up nor reported an error.

We've discussed similar cases before (in this mailing list) in cases
where scheduled backups of Windows clients fail with no error messages.
See question 4-19 in the monthly TSM FAQ, published on or near the first
of every month.

The acid test for this is to run the backup manually after mounting the
filesystem manually. If it is successful, then Salak's answer is on the
nose.

--
Mark Stapleton