ADSM-L

?Linux TSM service to backup >100 clients to disk->tape?

2004-03-31 11:52:16
Subject: ?Linux TSM service to backup >100 clients to disk->tape?
From: James R Owen <Jim.Owen AT YALE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:22:34 -0500
Hi Linux TSM Sys.Admins!

None of you responded to my previous query, so I'm trying again.

We are considering to use RedHat EL 3.0 on IA32/64 platform
(rather than AIX on p-series) to host an additional I/O intensive
TSM service (to split our current service and handle half of future
growth.)  We are hoping to build based upon others' experiences.

Are you already using or actively planning to use Linux (RedHat EL 3?)
to host an I/O intensive TSM service similar to any described under the
recent ADSM-L thread, "Sizing an AIX platform and tape libraries"?

If not, do you have a Linux TSM service backing up >100 clients to
disk -> tape storage?  Please describe what you have and what limits
you think might apply to your set up (or reply w/ a phone# if you
would rather just talk.)  Thanks for any advice you care to share!
--
Jim.Owen AT Yale DOT Edu (203.432.6693)

=       =       =       from my previous posting        =       =       =
We believe we are approaching the maximum that can be achieved w/
       TSM:    v5.2.1.3
       OS:     AIX 5.1 (64bit)
       CPU:    IBM 7025-6F1 w/ 4 * 750Mhz proc's + 3GB RAM
       SAN:    1 Gb w/ EMC Symmetrix 8830
       LAN:    1 Gb Ethernet
       ATL:    IBM 3494 w/ 6 * 3590E drives
               IBM 3584 w/ 4 * 3580 LTO1 + 2 * 3580 LTO2 drives

This configuration is successfully supporting our current ITS TSM service
(see details below), but we believe we either need a major performance
boost or to split this load onto an additional host platform:
       Linux, Win*, or must we remain w/ AIX for I/O performance?
to handle expected additional growth.

Which platform have you chosen (or would you choose) for similar TSM service?

Yale ITS TSM Service:
--------------------
       Active Clients:  2400 <= 3d, 2500 <= 7d, 2700 <= 35days

               Servers:        151
                       WinNT,2K*      105
                       Linux           20
                       Solaris          9
                       AIX              7
                       SQL-BT (Oracle)  3
                       Mac              2
                       TDP's: MSSQL,MSexchg:  2 + 1
                       [new]            2

               Personals:      2549
                       WinNT,2K*,XP  2230
                       Win98,ME        26
                       Mac            183
                       Linux           50
                       Solaris          5
                       AIX,DEC*X,HPUX,IRIX:  1 ea.
                       [new]           51

               Expected growth:  +500-600 clients for several years
                               +20% data for existing clients/year?

       TSM DB:  75.7% of 160GB
               BAckup DB w/ LTO1 HCmpr. takes 2.3h
               EXPIre Inv examines ~6M obj, deletes ~1M obj. in 8-9h

       Disk STGpools:  600 + 180GB
       Nightly Backup Period: 15:30-08:00+
       Weeknight Backup Load:  500-650GB+

Thanks for any experience/insight you are willing to share with us!
--
Jim.Owen AT Yale DOT Edu (203.432.6693)