ADSM-L

Re: Tsm client sending more than network bandwidth. What's up?

2004-03-31 09:19:35
Subject: Re: Tsm client sending more than network bandwidth. What's up?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:18:50 -0500
>It appears that tsm is getting 104 mb network throughput.
>The admin for the client machine (who is also our main tcp/pi routing
>guy) asks how this is possible?

Your network guy should know this, but...  Applications do not perform
network data transfer: the network component of the operating system does.
The application (in this case, TSM) knows only the rate at which it has
been able to hand over data to be sent out.  It is beyond its purview to
know that the data has actually gone out.  With very large data transfers,
the rate seen by the application can approximate reality, but with
smaller samples, the stats can be more skewed.  Your TSM transaction
size is also a factor here, in handshaking.

See also "Network data transfer rate" in
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts
where I have notes about the effect.

  Richard Sims