ADSM-L

Re: ?Can Linux or (Win?) replace AIX for I/O intensive TSM service?

2004-03-26 13:56:58
Subject: Re: ?Can Linux or (Win?) replace AIX for I/O intensive TSM service?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:56:17 -0600
First, take what you've got and throw a LOT more RAM at it. I can't
believe you're getting what you are actually getting out of only 3GB,
without memory constraint showing up somewhere, such as lowered database
cache hit ratios, or tape I/O buffers being too small which will slow
down your tape drives. Just because you're not paging doesn't mean that
more memory wouldn't help. (The TSM image working set probably stays in
real memory regardless.)

That 6F1 is a pretty muscular I/O engine, which will be tough to beat.
They'e showing up on the used market now - get a second one if you think
you can split your clients. (You'd have to split them a lot more ways
if you went to another platform.)