ADSM-L

Re: Windows Backup and mixed case filenames

2004-03-26 09:48:34
Subject: Re: Windows Backup and mixed case filenames
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:47:58 -0700
Although the NTFS file system technically permits case-sensitive file
names, the Windows operating system provides insufficient mechanisms for
applications to distinguish between files whose names differ in casing
only. As you have noticed, even the operating system facilities that come
with Windows have difficulty with these kinds of files. For similar
reasons, TSM is unable to manage all files whose names differ only in
case.

Take a look at the most current client level (5.2.2.0 and up). The README
file includes documentation on the new CASESENSITIVEAWARE option. This
option does not allow TSM to manage all files whose names differ in case
only, but it does make TSM "tolerate" the situation better.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Rainer Schöpf <rainer.schoepf AT PROTEOSYS DOT COM>
03/26/2004 07:35
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Windows Backup and mixed case filenames

Hello all,

we have an IBM NAS 100 Box (a W2K based server appliance) running Services
for Unix 2.2 to provide NFS service for our Linux workstations.

An NFS client can create two files in the same directory whose names
differ only in case, eg.  "makefile" and "Makefile". The NTFS on the NAS
100 can handle that. On the Windows side, I see both files, but have some
problems accessing both of them: irregardless of upper/lowercase, I
usually can only access the contents of one file. No surprise so far
(except that the NT file replication service replicates only one file)

However, it seems that the same is true for TSM: it backs up only one of
these two files. I looked through the options for the TSM client, but
could not find anything relevant to the problem.

So, my question is: is there a way to backup NTFS where some filenames
differ only in uppercase/lowercase? Maybe a newer version of the client?

TSM client version: 4.2.1.20 on W2K
TSM server version: 5.2.2.0 on W2K

Rainer Schöpf

ProteoSys AG
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 51
55129 Mainz

Dr. Rainer Schöpf
Leiter Software/Softwareentwicklung

Mail:   rainer.schoepf AT proteosys DOT com
Phone:  +49-(0)6131-50192-41
Fax:    +49-(0)6131-50192-11
WWW:    http://www.proteosys.com/