ADSM-L

AW: Retaining Deleted files

2004-03-26 08:25:01
Subject: AW: Retaining Deleted files
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:28:34 +0100
yup, it will do.
It will cause the tsm server grow NOLIMIT as well :-)

Alternatively,
you can offer incrementals to files keep 6 or 7 months only
and do archives with deletefiles option for older files.

this differntiates from the upper solution in that:

- you would be responsible for deleting files, not the custommer
 (responsibility move, more service from you)

- there would be 100% security that only files backed-up are deleted

- TSM storage usage and media maintenance, redundancy etc. could be easily
 differentiated  for young and old files

- at later timer, you could delete portions of your customer?s archived
files (in contrast to incremental
where you only can delete backup of whole file system easily)

- on the other side, only the very last version of files would be kept
forever, not the last two

- assumption: there is an easy way for you/tarchive sm to determine which
 files are to be considered to be over 6 months old

regards

Juraj