ADSM-L

9840 vs 9940 Performance

2004-03-26 05:40:07
Subject: 9840 vs 9940 Performance
From: "Frost, Dave" <Dave.Frost AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:23:27 +0000
Hello all,

Does anybody have any experience with TSM performance of STK 9940's ?
We are running 9840's with colocation and have found the performance for
large restores of a small file nature to be very good.
The only problem with 9840 is the 20GB limitation. I know that large
servers will span multiple tapes and the multi-thread restore works
exceptionally well with this. The only problem is that with growing data
quantities, an L700 fills up very quickly.

Using 9940's would triple the capacity of an L700. But we need to ensure we
would maintain the performance that we are seeing on the 9840's.
I understand that a 9940 is going to be a physically longer tape and as
such certain stats are not comparable to the 9840. But does the
repositioning and backhitching that is so evident with a large TSM restore
compare to that of a 9840.

-=Leigh=-