ADSM-L

Slow USS OMVS backup

2004-03-26 00:49:36
Subject: Slow USS OMVS backup
From: "Gee, Norman" <Norman.Gee AT LC.CA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:53:08 -0800
I have an IBM 9672-R26 with 3 LPARs defined.  On the product LPAR I have TSM
server 5.2.1 and the equivalent TSM client. All 3 LPARs have roughly the
same number of OMVS files and file sizes.  The other LPARs are for test and
development.  It takes about 10 to 15 times longer to backup the production
files as oppose to the test and development file.  For example I installed
the latest JAVA PTF, roughly 200 MB and it took about 1.5 hours to backup
the production LPARs to the server running in the same LPAR.  It took only 5
minutes to backup the test and development JAVA changes from their LPAR.  It
backups many times faster going across LPARs as opposed to backing up
itself.  Is this normal?  Is there something wrong with my configuration?
This is a backup to a disk storage pool.  The test and development LPAR were
clones of the production LPAR.  The operating system is z/OS 1.4.