ADSM-L

Re: ?Can Linux or (Win?) replace AIX for I/O intensive TSM servic e?

2004-03-25 16:59:39
Subject: Re: ?Can Linux or (Win?) replace AIX for I/O intensive TSM servic e?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:59:07 -0500
Personal observation:

My experience is that Windows systems are getting better every year, and
they work great as mid-size TSM servers.  But, they still can't push enough
I/O for a system as I/O intensive as yours, or push as fast as a comparable
AIX host.  Best I can tell, even if you add more adapters to a Windows host,
that doesn't necessarily give you another effective path for I/O.
(Disclaimer:  I have no experience with the 64-bit Windows systems.)

We have been unable to achieve the same tape throughput on a Windows host
that we had on an AIX host.   Problem is not the tape itself.  Could be the
drivers, or the internal bus structure of the host, or a memory/buffer
problem - who knows.

Now the reason we scaled down from AIX to Windows is that we only have about
100 clients now to back up on that network, so this isn't a critial problem
for us.  It's plenty fast enough for the configuration.  But out of
curiosity  I have talked to people at Tivoli, at Microsoft, and SHARE and
asked "what tools does Windows have that would help me solve this problem?",
and the answer all round was "hm - interesting question".  Win2K performance
tools give you no information about non-disk I/O.

That itself should tell you whether or not you should go there.  (NOT!!)

My opinion and nobody else's -

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)