ADSM-L

Re: Sizing an AIX platform and tape libraries

2004-03-24 10:44:43
Subject: Re: Sizing an AIX platform and tape libraries
From: "Wilcox, Andy" <andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:33:51 -0000
I think your easiest solution, seeing as you have some idea of what the
server would need to be capable of is just to talk to IBM and get them to
spec out a suitable solution for you. The reason for this is that there are
so many different solutions to do the job, but I would assume you have a
limited budget for doing this.

You may just want to consider the following:

- GbE is a definate must if you have it available for use and if your
network switching gear supports it, and you only need to be connected to one
(maybe two) subnets consider a GbE Etherchannel (as GbE adapters cost very
little in the scheme of things). I have got this in place and can regularly
sustain 90 to 100MB per seconds throughput!

- Fibre channel disks are about the only performance option available to
you. If you have an enterprise storage array such as an ESS you may want to
consider using it for for Disk storage requirements, alternatively Fastt
arrays are the cheaper alternative.

- For your tape libraries, I use 3584 libraries with LTO1 drives but you may
find it cheaper to expand on your existing 3494 libraries using later
generation 3590 drives, although I am not familiar with 3590 costs.

- In terms of the server, the only major consideration is to make sure you
get a server such as a P630 or P650 which can support (or be expanded to
support) many PCI adapters. In terms of processing requirements our systems
back up a couple of terabytes every night and only have 2 750MHz Power4 CPUs
and 2GB memory. The new P series servers are all now 1.2GHz and above!!!

Hope this provides some food for thought!

Many thanks

Andy Wilcox
UNIX Systems Administrator
Midlands Electricity