ADSM-L

Archiving does not delete directories ???

2004-03-24 10:30:41
Subject: Archiving does not delete directories ???
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:30:05 -0500
>Can someone please explain to me why TSM client does not delete the
>directory structure of the archived files? I am using the "deletefiles"
>option, but the client leaves the directories on the file system and
>successfully deletes the files within those directories.
>
>Is there something I can do to delete the directories together with the
>files? Please advise.

The evolutionary history of the Archive function indicates why...
As you can read in White Paper
 http://www.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/WP100254
the Archive function did not originally handle directories.  The
-DELetefiles option retains the original intent - to remove only the
files involved in archiving.  Frankly, I would not want Archive to
presume that it should delete directory structures when told only to
delete files: if I want directories removed, I would do so (in Unix)
with the 'rmdir' command (perhaps in conjunction with 'find'), where
rmdir is safe in that it will remove a directory only if it is empty.

   Richard Sims, http://people.bu.edu/rbs